Who do you choose? Rem or Emilia, and why?
Whatever your answer, hold that thought.
When I got into Re Zero I was surprised to see how popular Rem is, despite not being the protagonist like Emilia.
I even assumed Rem might be a protagonist… But I was obviously wrong.
Now I question why some fans argue and get bitter over something as ridiculous as “Rem Vs Emilia”.
- On one hand: you have people who genuinely love Rem more.
- And then there are fans of Emilia who keep quiet because of the petty haters.
So since nobody else is willing to mention why Emilia is better to avoid criticism, I’ll be the one to do it.
Let’s get started…
Why Emilia Is BETTER Than Rem:
1. Emilia’s The Protagonist for a GOOD reason
When all is said and done, Emilia is the protagonist for a good reason.
Subaru ends up in another world, not knowing WTF is even going on. But because it looks good, he goes along with it anyway.
And after running into a bunch of idiots, Emilia shows up and saves the day. While pretending not to care for his well-being, as if she did it for the sake of it.
These “little” moments in the first 40 minutes of Re Zero is what sets the stage for Emilia’s character.
You get to see in plain sight how kind, caring, stubborn, and even how “flawed” she is in terms of her habit of lying to save face (mentioned by Puck).
She’s a likable character from the get-go. Which is especially true if you were able to predict what kind of person she is from her actions in the beginning.
REM would have been an awful protagonist because of her initial behavior when she’s first introduced. And her unstable nature.
Making Rem a weaker character for the role and context portrayed by Re Zero.
2. Emilia’s character is enhanced by PUCK
Let’s keep it real: Puck is one of those “side characters” who makes the protagonist MUCH better.
This is mostly from a comedy point of view, and filling in a few gaps for Emilia’s character.
The relationship Puck and Emilia share is fun and special in its own way.
Similar to Natsu and Happy from Fairy Tail but different. Both characters makes the other better.
While Rem has RAM as her companion, you don’t get to see the kind of relationship Emilia and Puck has consistently or initially.
Puck makes Emilia more entertaining, and Puck by himself is a likable character as well.
3. Emilia’s intentions are pure from the beginning (unlike Rem)
In the first 40 minutes of Re Zero you can see what kind of person Emilia is in plain sight.
- Pure of heart.
- And willing to return favor without a second thought.
Not once are Emilia’s intentions malicious or deceitful.
Compare that to Rem, who even though she works as a maid in the mansion, she kills Subaru Natsuki based purely on assumption and irrational behaviour.
This is despite her “playing nice” in the mansion, which is why it’s one of the most shocking scenes in Re Zero when the “silent killer” is revealed to be Rem.
The only reason Rem becomes “a likable character” is because of Subaru’s insistence on getting Rem to trust him.
Or else she would have slaughtered him like she did the first time.
4. Emilia puts others before herself (no matter WHO it is)
No matter how I look at it, this is one of the most attractive traits of Emilia.
It’s not everybody’s cup of tea as we say in the UK, but it doesn’t matter.
It’s not the act of putting others before herself, it’s the pure intent and authenticity behind it.
- She’s not doing it “just” because it’s convenient.
- She’s not doing it as part of some hidden scheme or agenda.
Emilia does it because she wants to do it.
I like that a lot about Emilia in comparison to Rem. Who’s only nice because she loves Subaru.
5. Emilia’s relationship is more developed with Subaru
In the end, the fact is Emilia’s relationship with Subaru is LEGIT.
And why wouldn’t it be? They’re both protagonists. Plus it’s not “one-sided” like with Rem.
Both Subaru and Emilia’s relationship has been a perfect match from the beginning.
They both balance each other out in interesting ways. Like how Subaru’s optimism has a positive impact on Emilia.
Or how Emilia’s pure intentions “inspires” Subaru and makes him fall for her even more.
- Emilia’s design is better than Rems.
- I connect with Emilia better, personally.
Does that mean Rem is a bad character?
In fact I like Rem. Her genuine flaws, scars, and struggle with self-esteem makes Rem relatable.
And in terms of Subaru, because of what Subaru did for Rem’s confidence, she does whatever it takes to support him.
Especially when he’s depressed or feeling down on himself.
- Emilia doesn’t get enough love in Re Zero, despite being a protagonist.
- And besides that, I love Emilia’s role better as a character.
- Not many Re Zero fans will admit that to avoid being attacked by losers in the anime community.
- “Losers” because some fans are so petty they’ll attack you for disagreeing. As if the sun shines out their ass.
So Emilia get’s my vote 10/10. Anyday of the week.