I’ve always seen top 5 lists as too small and petty for me to care. After all, how do you condense your entire
It’s hard enough doing a top 10, but here we are anyway.
In this post I’ll break down my top 5
This could change in the future, but given I’ve watched 100’s of
Regardless, let’s get into it.
My Top 5
anime (No Ranking Order):
1. Code Geass
Code Geass is an absolute masterpiece of an anime. And no one, or no
This is in spite of the fact Code Geass was one of my first 50 or so
So what makes Code Geass worthy of a top 5 list?
- Lelouch’s brilliance as a protagonist.
- The chess-like strategy and tactics in the
- Military concepts that are portrayed and laid out unlike any other series.
animedone right. It goes well beyond robots.
- Plot twists. Many that will piss you off, others that will satisfy and leave you with questions.
- Satisfying ending, and one that goes further than many
animeare willing to these days.
Really, there’s a lot to like about Code Geass. Lelouch is smart, cunning, and patient more than anything else.
These traits makes the
Lelouch isn’t what you’d call ethical, but he’s honest and acknowledges his flaws despite the path he follows.
The heavy burden can be felt as a fan watching the
I caved in and decided to watch it back in maybe 2019 or so. And I can’t believe it lived up to the hype I was being pestered to the point of madness about.
He gets his wish. A f*cking
Once Light Yagami returns home and goes in his room, he’s thinking about the
This is where the insanity of
I don’t know why I was even surprised this
You get to experience it all through Light Yagami, who changes his name to Kira and then starts to become arrogant and somewhat lose his way.
It’s an interesting story of how easy it is to self destruct, even with all the power in the world in the palm of your hands.
Akame Ga Kill
One thing I did know is some liked it, and others weren’t feeling it. So I got curious.
First off the
He’s traveling with 2 friends.
Before long, he realizes just how corrupt the government is, its people, and how he’s been living a dream that doesn’t come close to the savage reality.
This is the main theme and the driving force that makes
The struggle for freedom is real, and
The LACK of plot armor (which is typical for Shonen) makes
Realism is what makes it one of the best Shonen of all time, and one of my favorite
The ratings and more than anything else, the fanbase speaks for itself.
After watching Black Lagoon I jumped in this, and came out liking Jormungand even more than Black Lagoon.
What makes Jormungand so good?
- The theme is about arms dealers, and it’s portrayed realistically.
- Compared to Black Lagoon, Jormungand is a more “true to life” type of series.
- The main character Koko Hekmatyar is a fearless, energetic leader who’s easy going and sarcastic.
- The character chemistry is on point and makes everything feel more complete.
- The landscape, locations, scenery and countries change a lot since there’s a traveling aspect to it.
For such a gritty
There’s no other
5. The Disastrous Life Of Saiki K
And last I’ll add The Disastrous Life Of Saiki K! It’s about a guy with psychic powers who’s introverted and wants to be left alone.
It’s surprisingly wholesome at times. Years back I would have said My Bride Is A Mermaid, but Saiki K surpasses it.
What makes Saiki K worth pointing out in a top 5 list?
- Clever dialogue and mini episodes within each episode.
- Original content.
- Doesn’t need fan service to enhance the comedy.
- Cleverly manipulates and mocks cliches to its benefit.
- You get to see the world from the perspective of an OP character without the Shonen nonsense.
- Original writing that stays in its own lane and makes a
powerfulMC relatable (like one Punch Man).
You can think of this
That’s part of Saiki K’s charm.
The creators have managed to create a slice of life/comedy series without relying on fan service, cliches, and common tropes to make it funny.
That’s why it feels refreshing and original.
- Fate Zero.
- Violet Evergarden.
- Kino’s Travels.
- Happy Sugar Life.
What are your top 5