In case you don’t know what Buzzsumo is, it’s a platform for discovering content and measuring how many people have shared it on social media.
The data is gathered from:
I just don’t think 99% of
Whether you hate it or not.
Going back to
Of all the
How I gathered the data
I searched keywords on Buzzsumo like “
But since that’s limited to the word
After doing that, this is what it lead me to…
Anime Articles Online With The MOST Social Shares:
1. Dad Turns His Sons’ Doodles Into
Anime Characters (185,000 shares)
Taken from Boredpanda.com, The gist of this article is as it describes. A talented father turns his sons “
There are 5 parts to this article all together. And it’s not surprising why it did so well, since it has shock value (and it’s impressive).
2. Michael B. Jordan’s Killmonger Costume Definitely Honors His
Anime Love (129,116 shares)
Taken from screenrant.com, this article takes advantage of a celebrity actor’s costume seen in Black Panther. Which hints personal interest in
It mentions someone famous + combines that with
3. Oda Reveals One Member of The Strawhats Crew Will Die In
One Piece (126,798 shares)
In 3rd place, Otakukart is surprisingly the 3rd article taken from a dedicated
Again, it’s easy to see why this
- It’s about
One Piece. The #1 selling mangaseries in the world.
- It’s been ongoing for more than a decade, with a following that puts your average
anime/ mangato shame.
All things considered, this “spoiler” by Otakukart, and the massive social shares that followed shouldn’t be surprising. It makes a lot of sense.
4. Japanese Woman Recreates Food From Miyazaki Films And Other
Anime (118,600 shares)
4th we have the website: boredpanda.com (again) with a twist. A Japanese woman takes anime food seen in Miyazaki films, and recreates them. Down to the last detail.
So it’s no wonder it looks so good (part of the reason it has so many shares). And besides, who doesn’t love
5. Blade Runner Is Getting A Short
Anime From Cowboy Bebop’s Director (112,800 shares)
Cowboy Bebop is a famous
Especially on a website like Kotaku (one of the biggest
One Piece Just Revealed Shanks’ Son (85,481 shares)
Otaku Kart shows up again, this time in 6th place.
Like their other popular articles, they focus on a niche of
And when they reveal a massive spoiler or something shocking about these shows, fans eat it up like they’re starved of food. And the amount of social shares reflects that.
7. Top 10 Strongest Pirates Ever in the New World (83,749 shares)
You can see how popular One Piece is based on the articles in this post. I can only assume no other blog on the internet has created this type of post before.
If not that, no other blog online is more trusted than Otakukart when it comes to
The shares speaks for itself.
8. Crazy Fans Discovered Real Life
One Piece Characters (80,778 shares)
And again, Otakukart has made it multiple times throughout this post. The reason for so many shares with this post is obvious… It’s all about shock value, surprise, and uniqueness.
It’s not the kind of post you can pull out of your pocket in a hurry. It takes serious research (not the fun kind) and a lot of effort to discover it before anyone else.
And it helps that Otakukart has writers dedicated to
9. Bulma’s Voice Actress Hiromi Tsuru Has Died (73,400 shares)
It makes me sad when someone dies, especially the way people in the anime industry die so often. The past few years have proved this.
It’s obvious why this article has so many shares, it deserves every share it managed to get.
I won’t get into the “why”, but it’s a blatant problem we see too often in the
10. Netflix is taking on a vast amount of new
Anime (66,369 shares)
And in 10th place we have this article from Explica.co, talking about Netflix’s push into the
It was big news at the time, so the shares are justified. And it’s even bigger news today since Netflix has made more moves than ever before with producing
Personally though I’m not a fan of their catalogue so far.
- Nakaba Suzuki’s “Seven Deadly Sins” To Be Adapted Into New Anime – 66,252 shares (
- Director, Studio Ghibli Co-Founder Isao Takahata Passes Away – 63,600 shares (ANN).
- Tokyo Ghoul:re Anime Officially Confirmed For 2018 – 62,892 shares (
Facts gathered from this data by Buzzsumo:
- The most popular
animearticles were created by websites that have nothing to do with anime.
AnimeNews Network and Crunchyrollbeing the biggest sites in the industry… They have some of the least shares compared to other sites.
- Otakukart is the highest performing
animewebsite on the internet (in terms of social shares).
- Kotaku has slightly more shares per article than
AnimeNews Network and Crunchyroll.
- Despite Otakumode having the most Facebook likes (20M+) of any
animesite, they’re nowhere to be found on this list. Which tells you social media followers don’t mean sh** in terms of shares.
- Despite the size of websites like Honeysanime (smaller than ANN, but larger than most) they were nowhere to be found on this list.
- In comparison,
AnimeMotivation (which is smaller than Honeysanime by social media followers) has more shares regardless.
- This tells you that content matters much more than vanity metrics like social media followers and “likes”.
- In comparison,
- Also: even though MyAnimeList isn’t what you’d call a “content” site, they do publish lots of it. And even they were nowhere to be seen.