$100 Million dollars??
I’m guessing that’s the question running through your mind.
And the answer to that question is YES. $100 Million dollars.
That’s how much Mangaka – Eiichiro Oda has made from One Piece in his career.
This was achieved over the span of 20 years from 1997 to 2017.
How did he do it? We’ll be sharing that with you today.
Along with some solid facts, evidence, research and the overall success of One Piece.
Not to mention how it all began for Eiichiro Oda…
How Eiichiro Oda Started Out As A Manga Artist…
Why Eiichiro Became A Mangaka:
- Imagine being 4 years of age and deciding to be a manga artist to avoid getting a “real” job? Well, that’s what Eiichiro Oda claims kick-started his career.
- Eiichiro Oda’s main influence behind One Piece was Akira Toriyama. The man behind super famous anime: Dragon Ball Z.
- In 1974, the TV animation series: Vicky The Vikings was born. One common theme in this animation is pirates. And this was the inspiration behind Eiichiro’s eventual One Piece series.
How Eiichiro’s Career Started:
It all started when Eiichiro was 17 years old. Still a teenager.
His first piece of work named: Wanted! went on to win plenty of awards. And that’s what lead him to a job at The Weekly Shounen Jump Magazine.
The same magazine that features popular shows today like DBZ and One Punch Man.
While working at Shounen Jump Magazine, Eiichiro worked on the following comics:
- Suizan Police Gang.
- Jungle King Tar-chan.
- Mizu no Tomodachi Kappaman.
At some point in Eiichiro’s career after turning 19, he worked on Rurouni Kenshin.
And played a role in creating one of the female characters: Honjo Kamatari.
And Then One Piece Was Born…
This is where things started to get interesting.
Sometime during his work on Rurouni Kenshin, Eiichiro decided to draw 2 pirate themed comics.
One of the titles: Romance Dawn featured Monkey D Luffy, and was published in the Weekly Shounen Jump Magazine in 1996.
And that’s how the famous show: One Piece was born into the world of anime and manga.
How Eiichiro Oda Made Over $100M Between 1997-2017
Let’s Look At These 8 Legitimate Facts:
- One Piece is the BEST selling manga of all time since being published in 1997.
- The One Piece Manga is the 3rd best-selling comic of all time. With Batman and Superman being the ONLY comics which are more successful.
- One Piece has sold over 416 MILLION copies of the MANGA (not including the anime or merchandise).
- Between April 1st and June 30th in 2012, One Piece products had 7.6 billion yen ($96 MILLION US Dollars) worth of net sales during the three-month period. (Read that again, in 3 months alone).
- Even in 2014, One Piece was the #1 time slot in America for anime shows.
- The One Piece anime sold over 220,000 copies in America in 2014.
- According to Kotaku – “A couple years back the Japanese TV show looked into this and reported that Oda probably makes 3.1 billion yen (US$26 million) a year.”
- The 84th volume of the One Piece Manga released on February 3rd 2017… And sold 1,500,448 copies in its first three days. (Read that again, over 1 million copies in 3 DAYS).
Even without the facts above, when you do the math it’s easy to see why Eiichiro’s become so successful.
There aren’t many manga’s that become the 3RD best-selling comic of all time, after all.
One Piece is right behind comics like Superman and Batman in terms of success.
And even ahead of popular comics like Spiderman.
And That’s The Story of How Eiichiro Oda Became One of the Richest Mangakas of all time.