“Leadership is about making others better as a result of your presence, and making sure that impact lasts in your absence.” – Unknown
All leaders are different. But a few things define them all:
- They’re both selfish AND selfless.
- They work hard to develop those around them. Even If unintentional.
- They have a purpose, and understand WHY they do what they do.
- They work hard on themselves and aren’t afraid to make mistakes.
- They think things through with logic and aren’t ruled by their emotions.
In the world of anime – these facts are no different. Because anime characters have human characteristics anyway.
Here are 17+ of the most
1. Marika Kato (Bodacious Space Pirates)
Marika’s an easy-going character with strong communication skills, and a healthy appetite for risk.
Marika Kato’s main strengths as a leader:
- Quick decision maker, and quick on her feet.
- A little unconventional.
- Works well under-pressure, never being overwhelmed by it.
- Keeps a cool head in intense situations, which inspires others to do the same.
2. Koro Sensei (Assassination Classroom)
He looks weird because he is weird. And in a weird way – this is one of Koro Sensei’s perks as a leader.
In a nutshell, here are Koro’s strengths as a leader:
- Constantly analyses the situation and stays grounded.
- Plans so far into the future that any setbacks are minimal at best, should any ever come up.
- Constantly thinks “what if” to prevent making unnecessary mistakes.
- Nurtures his students and focuses on their core strengths to bring out the best in others.
3. Miho Nishizumi (Girls Und Panzer)
Miho’s not a special looking character in terms of
But that’s irrelevant, because the reality is: a leader is determined by their actions, never their looks.
Miho’s strengths as a leader:
- Plans things out well ahead of time.
- Unconventional and creative in her methods.
- Cool calm and collected.
4. Kanie Seiya (Amagi Brilliant Park)
Kanie is a flipping clown when you first see him on-screen. Meaning: he’s arrogant, full of himself, and seems like he’s full of sh*t.
But that’s because Kanie is the type of leader who shines under the right circumstances.
Strengths for Kanie as a leader:
- Pure logic.
- Able to filter out the nonsense, and focus on what matters.
- Motivational towards his team, and is able to push them.
- Laughs at the problems he faces instead of getting stressed.
- Extremely hard-working.
5. Najenda (Akame Ga Kill)
Other than being what you’d call a tom-boy, Najenda is a natural leader by virtue of her personality and upbringing.
Unlike other leaders, she’s tough on others, and doesn’t tolerate any BS when it comes to getting the job done.
Najenda’s leadership strengths:
- Cool calm and collected.
- Tons of experience and wisdom.
- Able to use logic in emotional situations to push forward.
- Approachable and comfortable to be around.
- Able to defend herself in a fight, and lead by example.
6. Junichirou Kagami (Denpa Kyoushi)
Junichirou is an Otaku who runs his own popular blog, while collecting
His one mantra which I love is: I can only do what I yearn to do.
- Unconventional, controversial and unorthodox more than anything else.
- Unique perspective from that of a video gamer.
- Easy going, laid back personality.
- Able to motivate and inspire others.
- Sharp, witty and intelligent.
- Care free.
7. Shiroe (Log Horizon)
Shiroe is the introspective type. Always looking within himself for the answers, and thinking things through before making decisions.
His leadership style is: leading behind the scenes, as opposed to being the center of attention.
Shiroe’s leadership strengths:
- Laid back and easy-going.
- Easy to get along with, and approachable.
- Hardly loses his temper, and handles things diligently.
- Master strategist.
- Uses his intelligence to settle things, instead of using his fists.
- Thinks of the well-being of others.
8. Umiko Ahagon (New Game!)
If you can imagine what it’s like to meet a veteran soldier, Umiko has a similar presence. Probably because she’s into that kind of stuff (it’s her passion).
That aside, she’s the more “serious” type of leader who values results and hard work more than anything else.
- Knows how to “get down to business” without any excuses.
- Holds herself to a high standard, and does the same with others.
- Intuitive and extremely perceptive, and is able to detect when others are lying.
- Hard worker.
- Expects everyone around her to work hard.
- Surprisingly considerate, even though she appears intimidating and sometimes unapproachable.
9. All Might (My Hero Academia)
When you run into someone with a ridiculous, exaggerated personality, it’s hard to take them seriously.
Or at least that’s how some people perceive it.
All Might is that kind of guy. Until you realize just how much you can learn from him.
Leadership strengths of All Might:
- Positive attitude.
- Contagious personality.
- Able to uplift, inspire, and motivate others.
- Leads by his actions, not just his words.
- Surprisingly empathetic and thoughtful of other people.
- Patient with others, especially people who are difficult to deal with.
10. Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass)
Lelouch isn’t the most morally correct or perfect leader. But then, what leader really is.
He knows how to strategize, think ahead, and plan so far in advance that he’d make a great leader.
In fact this is even shown in the anime itself.
- Plans 10 steps ahead.
- Mitigates potential mistakes to prevent them from happening.
- Thinks long term.
- Leads without struggle.
- Keeps his eyes on the prize.
11. Glenn Radars (Rokudenashi)
Glenn Radars might be an absolute clown and a sarcastic b*stard, which is a lot of the time.
He’s a fun character like that. But and when things get serious he’s able to lead and direct people to success.
He’s surprisingly more adept and skilled as a leader than first appearances will tell you.
- A good listener.
- Pays attention to people’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Observes what’s happening around him, and plans accordingly.
- Easy to talk to and get along with.
- Laid back personality.
- Not the type to judge negatively or make assumptions without information.
12. Teletha Testarossa (Full Metal Panic)
Teletha Testarossa might be younger than most, but she’s one of the most skilled leaders in anime.
She has a special ability and that makes her phenomenal as a leader for her age.
In fact, as a 16 year old, she leads her whole fleet. Including grown men and women much older than she is.
Good looks is the least of what she brings to the table.
- Level headed.
- Calm under pressure.
- Focused and never allows herself to get distracted when it matters.
- Easy to talk to and get along with.
- Nice but knows how to put her foot down and set boundaries.
- Committed and hard working.
13. Koko Hekmatyar (Jormungand)
Koko Hekmatyar is a GREAT leader. One of the most eccentric there is, and a good laugh to be around.
Considering she’s an arms dealer, and a known one, it’s the opposite of what you’d expect from this dark and dirty world of guns and weapons.
But that makes her all the more appealing and likable.
- Fun to be around.
- Easy going and has a sense of humor.
- Serious when it’s time to get down to business.
- Isn’t one to slack off or get lazy.
- Diligent and intelligent.
- Savvy business woman.
- Treats all her employees with respect.
14. Dutch (Black Lagoon)
Dutch has to be one of the coolest, if not the coolest anime characters around. And I mean by his persona, not just how he looks or seems.
He’s the kind of main character who stays in the background and lets others shine, and do their thing.
That doesn’t take away from his own shine or relevance though.
- Laid back as F.
- Lets others stand out while he leads in the shadows.
- Cool and calm in chaotic situations.
- Experience and wisdom to lead others and prepare for the worst.
- A tough leader, but fair at the time.
- All about his business.
- Commands respect.
15. Crusch Karsten (Re:Zero)
Crusch Karstenis a BIG part of the first season in the 2nd half. And plays a major role in things turning out in everyone’s favor.
She’s the only one willing to listen to Subaru’s cry for help, and helps him formulate a strategy.
From what we see during this arc, Crusch’s leadership skills are undeniable.
- Forward and direct.
- Intelligent and thoughtful.
- Willing to listen and is observant.
- Kind but firm.
- A woman who commands respect and gives it to others if deserving.
16. Akitaru Oubi (Fire Force)
Akitaru Oubi is an OG in
That said, he’s still a leader of the 8th company which has 2nd and 3rd generation pyrokinetics.
He’s so committed he finds ways to compensate for his “lack”, and it works like magic.
- Leads others with a firm approach.
- Takes full responsibility for his teams actions or mishaps.
- Accountable to himself and is the same with others.
- Committed to the point of finding ways to be useful, despite just being human.
- Inspiring to everyone around him.
- Stands on his morals and refuses to break them.
17. Mavis Vermillion (Fairy Tail)
Mavis Vermillion is a short girl, there’s a reason for that but I won’t spoil it.
She’s jolly and energetic. Definitely what you’d call an extrovert. But despite her appearance, is a smarter, more talented leader than it seems on the surface.
An overall brilliant character from
- Fun and energetic to be around.
- Lifts up the spirits of everyone she comes across.
- Positive and full of love and optimism.
- Empathetic towards others.
- Brilliant strategist and tactician.
- Knows how to think ahead and look at the bigger picture.
- Smarter than people assume at first glance.
- A leader you can genuinely be friends with, without it compromising relationship.
Other anime leaders:
- Satsuki Kiryuin.
- Kakashi Hatake.
- Heine Wittgenstein.
Which anime leaders do you love?