Anime dub actors and actresses… I feel they deserve so much more respect than they’re getting in the anime industry.
I can’t count the amount of times I’ve seen fans disrespecting, hating, and maliciously commenting on the validity of anime dub VA’S. As if they’re toxic to the anime community.
But it’s easy to forget without these anime dub actors and actresses, the anime industry wouldn’t have come so far.
They’re one of the key reasons the industry “blew up” on an global level. Anime fans in the US and beyond have created careers for themselves, because of dubbed voice acting.
So with that said, let’s highlight some of the best anime dub actors who’ve done a lot for the industry!
The BEST Anime Dub Voice Actors:
1. Cherami Leigh
Cherami Leigh… who’s this you might ask. Well, she’s FAMOUS for these anime characters:
- Lucy Heartfilia (Fairy Tail).
- Asuna Yuuki (Sword Art Online).
- Mai Taniyama (Ghost Hunt).
And so many other anime characters.
If you’ve watched an anime with a female character with “these” voices… just know Cherami Leigh is the woman behind it.
Being a fan of Lucy Heartfilia’s character, and even Asuna Yuuki, I appreciate the effort and hard work put into these roles. Especially since I originally watched SAO and Fairy Tail in the dubbed version.
Both shows have gone on to become some of my favorites.
2. Christopher Sabat
Christopher Sabat is an OG in the anime industry. A living legend as far as dubbed anime VA’S.
I mean – he’s the guy behind:
- Vegeta (DBZ).
- Piccolo (DBZ).
- Shio Sasaki (Kenichi The Mightiest Disciple).
- All Might (My Hero Academia).
All of these anime are legendary. And the voice in particular isn’t found in your common, everyday anime series.
But let’s keep it real – when you hear this guys voice behind a character, you already know it’s legit.
There’s no debating it.
3. Chris Patton
Chris Patton is another dubbed anime actor that deserves credit. I like the mixture of characters he’s done.
An example of some anime characters Chris Patton is known for:
- Sousuke Sagara (Full Metal Panic).
- William Massachusetts (Log Horizon).
- Rentaro Satomi (Black Bullet).
- Katsuragi Keima (The World God Only Knows).
- Lavi (D. Gray Man).
Sousuke’s a personal favorite, but each of these characters are known to varying degrees in the industry. And the voices fit the characters personalities.
These characters aren’t as famous, but that’s irrelevant as far as quality.
4. Erica Mendez
Erica Mendez is another anime voice actress who despite NOT being the most popular, has done some great characters over the years.
Here’s an example of the types of characters she’s done as a VA:
- Yuuki Konno (Sword Art Online).
- Megumin (Kono Subarashii).
- Atsuko Kagari (Little Witch Academia).
- Kaori Miyazono (Your Lie In April).
- Ryuko Matoi (Kill La Kill).
- Aladdin (Magi: Kingdom Of Magic).
- Raphtalia (The Rising Of The Shield Hero).
- Emma (The Promised Neverland).
- Mash Kyrielight (Fate Grand Order).
No matter who you are and how many anime you’ve watched, you’ll recognize at least one character from this list.
Especially if you’re tuned into The Rising Of The Shield Hero in 2019 (Raphtalia).
I feel Erica Mendez is underrated.
5. Josh Grelle
Josh Grelle’s done a lot of roles over the years. Doing VA work for characters like:
- Tanukichi Okuma (Shimoneta).
- Glenn Radars (Rokudenashi).
- Ryo Yoake (ReLife).
- Futaro Uesugi (Quintessential Quintuplets).
- Byakuya Togami (Danganronpa).
- Shido Itsuka (Date A Live).
- Zen Wisteria (Snow White With The Red Hair).
Again – he’s not as popular as VA’S like Christopher Sabat, but that doesn’t matter.
When it comes down to it, the characters he works with are hilarious, funny, comical, and they “fit” with the personalities.
Especially with anime like Rokudenashi.
6. Felecia Angelle
Felecia has a more subtle tone to her characters. A little more gentle compared to other VA’S and the characters they’ve worked with.
You’ll notice Felecia from characters like:
- Shinoa Hiragi (Owari No Seraph).
- Miku Nakano (Quintessential Quintuplets).
- Fubuki Class Destroyer (Kantai Collection).
- Manami Okuda (Assassination Classroom).
- Aoi Asahina (Danganronpa).
- Emi Yusa (The Devil Is A Part Timer).
Each of these anime shows have their own distinct style, themes, and plots. And while there are too many to name, the average anime fan will recognize these characters.
I like the mixture of sarcastic, gentle and introverted characters Felicia’s worked on.
7. Johnny Yong Bosch
This guys known for some of his anime character roles, because of how insanely popular some anime have become in the dubbed community.
Here are some examples you’ll recognize:
- Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass).
- Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach).
- Yukio Okumura (Blue Exorcist).
- Izaya Orihara (Durarara).
- Yusaku Kitamura (Toradora).
Ichigo Kurosaki is the biggest character he’s done to date. Followed by Lelouch. And both anime are legendary in their own right.
8. Alexis Tipton
Alexis Tipton reminds me of Felicia Angelle’s characters. Gentle, sweet, and sometimes optimistic and energetic.
These anime characters come to mind:
- Nana Okami (My Roommate Is A Cat).
- Kongou (Kantai Collection).
- Yoshino Koharu (Sakura Quest).
- Aki Adagaki (Masaune Kun No Revenge).
- Gotenks (Dragon Ball Z).
I enjoyed Yoshino Koharu’s role. And so many others like Kongou from Kantai Collection.
9. Todd Haberkorn
Todd Haberkorn has done characters like:
- Death The Kid (Soul Eater).
- Nagasumi Michishio (My Bride Is A Mermaid).
- Betelgeuse Romanee-Conti (Re:Zero).
- Aru Akise (Future Diary).
Each of these characters, and the dozens and dozens of others, have a style I can only describe as crazy, irritable, passionate and so on.
The mix of personalities differ a lot for this VA.
10. Christina Kelly
I LOVE Christina Kelly as a VA. She’s done some of my favorite female characters.
A couple I’ll mention that she’s done:
- Alice Nakiri (Food Wars).
- Mine (Akame Ga Kill).
- Yamato (Kantai Collection).
- Loki (Danmachi).
- Sylphynford Tachibana (Umaru Chan).
- Shichimiya Satone (Love, Chuunibyou and Other Delusions).
Unlike other anime voice actresses, Christina Kelly doesn’t have a MASSIVE catalogue under her belt. But that doesn’t matter because it’s all about quality.
Christina’s skills are living proof of that for me.
11. Bryce Papenbrook
Bryce Papenbrook is a famous anime dub voice actor for a lot of reasons. Once you see the characters he’s voiced, you’ll understand.
- Eren Jaeger (Attack On Titan).
- Shirou Emiya (Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works).
- Kazuto Kirigaya (Sword Art Online).
- Meliodas (The Seven Deadly Sins).
- Rin Okumura (Blue Exorcist).
- Naegi Makoto (Danganronpa).
There’s no way you haven’t heard of these characters. A LOT of the anime shows are famous.
And whether you’re a fan of his voice acting or not, Bryce Papenbrook has put in the work.
You can’t take that away from him.
12. Michelle Ruff
Michelle Ruff has been voice acting for much longer than most on this list. And as far as anime, she has some of the best characters under her belt.
Let’s take a look at some examples:
- Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach).
- Yoko Littner (Gurren Lagann).
- Winia Chester (Scrapped Princess).
- Kirari Momobami (Compulsive Gambler).
- Satoru Fujinuma (Erased).
- Sakuya Tachibana (God Eater).
- Shino Asada (Sword Art Online).
Rukia to me is one of the greatest characters Michelle Ruff has done. I LOVE Shino Asada as well.
There’s just something about her voice acting, and the characters she’s paired with that I enjoy listening to.
13. Jason Liebrecht
Jason Liebrecht is a unique case. I like the diversity when it comes to the characters he’s worked on.
Anime characters he’s worked with are:
- Yato (Noragami).
- Suwa Hiroto (Orange).
- Dabi (My Hero Academia).
- Millennium Earl (D. Gray Man Hallow).
- Lavi (D. Gray Man Hallow).
Similar to Christina Kelly, Jason doesn’t have a massive line up of characters… But they’re recognizable to their own degree.
Dabi is one of the latest in recent years.
14. Kira Buckland
Kira Buckland voices some funny, interesting and entertaining characters like:
- Beatrice (Re:Zero).
- Ayumi Otosaka (Charlotte).
- Eris (Kono Subarashii).
- Lyria (Granblue Fantasy: The Animation).
- Julis Alexia Van Riessfeld (Asterisk War).
- Luculia Marlborough (Violet Evergarden).
Beatrice is a fan favorite, especially because of her classic phrase: “I suppose” she adds to almost every sentence.
Ayumi Otosaka is another great role I love from Kira Buckland.
- Lauren Landa (Attack On Titan).
- Ryan Bartley (Re:Zero).
- Anastasia Munoz (Jormungand).
- Karen Strassman (Love Live School Idol Project).
- Ray Chase (Re:Zero).
- Brittney Karbowski (A Certain Magical Index).
I’m the Founder of Anime Motivation.
The 1st anime I watched was Dragon Ball Z. Followed by Claymore, Inuyasha, Attack On Titan, and the rest as they say is “history”.